#003 : Blade Server

Some of Shadowpuma's real life ShadowPix featured from the Shadowpuma website.
Shadowpuma
Site Admin
Site Admin
Game Relation: Rift
Online Main Character Name: Shadowpuma

#003 : Blade Server

Post by Shadowpuma » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:15 pm

Link to ShadowPix #003

Making a Web Server, not as easy as it sounds. You take a machine, swap it over with the existing main internet connected machine, then it all goes wrong. :-({|=

First thing was the Power Supply of the machine blew up. I thought it was the motherboard at first because it just displayed 00 on it's little LED display, but after managing to steal bandwidth off my neighbours unencrypted router (which I'm thankful that they aren't as technically minded as me to know about encryption) I was able to find out that this code means power supply problems. So a new power supply and I was back in business.

The next problem, Windows Server 2003. The machine was created as a Primary Domain Controller so all my other machines can log onto it, the network card was not detected correctly and needed the right drivers, the machine refused to install RRAS because it swore that Internet Connection Sharing was still enabled, and to fix everything I had to delete the domain, turn off ICS which has somehow stayed left on from before, then create the domain again. I'm just glad there was some good films on TV whilst I was doing this.

So I now have my server, my other PC's connected to the internet through it, and a url that forwards people to the websites on my server. \:D/

Next comes the fun part. Once everything has proven to be stable for the next week / month, I can start hosting peoples websites and files. I guess I need to learn how to setup a secure FTP connection to it. :roll:

At least I'm learning and having fun. :D_b

Shadowpuma
Site Admin
Site Admin
Game Relation: Rift
Online Main Character Name: Shadowpuma

Post by Shadowpuma » Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:51 pm

Well the server is starting to come along nicely. I've been playing about and got a theme going on it.

I've always wanted a PC case that would stand out, yet have some class about it. Since I don't know anyone that does PC case artwork or sticker/poster making, the only other choice was to update it using photoshop.

Link to Case design

Some of you have probably already seen the server and the page design, but if not then go to these following 2 links.

http://www.bladesoul.co.uk
http://www.bladesoul.co.uk/downloads

(Original sword image before manipulation was obtained from the Tom King website)